An Introductory Packet
Excerpts and Resources from An Electronic Silent Spring
- Inviting Discussion about Safer Tech Use in Schools
by Katie Singer
- Calming Behavior in Children with Autism and ADHD: The Electromagnetic Radiation (EMR)-Lowering Protocol (That Has No Cost Or Side Effects)
Help for Autism and/or Autism Solutions
by Katie Singer and featuring pediatrician Toril Jelter, MD, biologist Andrew Goldsworthy, PhD, software designer and father Peter Sullivan, and BioInitiative co-editor Cindy Sage, MA. Como tranquilizar a los niños con autismo
- Hugh Taylor, MD, Chief of Yale OBGYN Department and others educate pregnant women about the dangers of using cell phones or Wi-Fi.
- Cellphone Radiation Absorbed by a Child: A Video from Environmental Health Trust
- WiFi and Health from an MD with a background in electrical engineering and
- Review of the AECOM Report “Radiofrequency (RF) Monitoring Summary Report: Montgomery County Public Schools”, Prepared for the Montgomery County Public Schools by Ronald M. Powell, PhD
- The Environmental Health Trust has compiled a spectacular list of schools, unions and PTAs that have taken steps to ensure healthier school environments.
- A Model Letter Drafted by Katie Singer to School Superintendents, Principals, Board Members, Faculty, Staff and Parents from Anyone Concerned About Children’s Health
- A Model Letter Drafted by Katie Singer To Teenagers Wanting Wireless Devices To Be Revised As Parents Deem Fit
- Back to School with Safer Tech
- Parents, Take Note
The American Academy of Pediatrics and Kaiser Permanente warn that too much screen time is associated with children’s violent behavior, poor school performance, lower reading scores, sleep disturbances, obesity and bad habits later in life such as tobacco and alcohol abuse.
- COMMENT for the Access Board about EMR Exposure
- A pediatric neurologist on Wi-Fi
In her February 8, 2013 letter, Martha Herbert, MD, pediatric neurologist at Harvard, warns the Los Angeles Unified School District not to install Wi-Fi–and to opt for wired technologies.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics
In a December, 2012 letter, the American Academy of Pediatrics’ 60,000 pediatricians support the Cell Phone Right to Know Act and warn pregnant women and children not to use cell phones.
- Safer Baby Monitor Solutions
- Message to Schools and Colleges about Wireless Devices and Health by Ronald M. Powell, Ph.D
- Letters from scientists and others to the Montgomery County School District about Wi-Fi
- “Cell Phones and Wireless Technologies–Should Safety Guidelines Be Strengthened to Protect Adults, Children and Vulnerable Populations? Should Parents, Teachers & Schools Restrict Technology Overuse Among Children?” a conference at the Commonwealth Club of California, June 22, 2015, organized by Camilla Reese of electromagnetichealth.org.
Hear Drs. Erica Mallery-Blythe, Victoria Dunckley, Martin Pall, Joel Moskowitz and others report on dangers of and solutions to exposure to electromagnetic radiation (EMR).
- Why Don’t FCC Safety Guidelines on Mobile Phones Consider Children?
- Cell tower siting on Minneapolis Public School Property
In a December 2013 letter, the Electromagentic Radiation Policy Institute explains to the Minneapolis School Board why NOT to have a cell tower on campus.
- Int’l Tech Use in Schools
OECD (2015), Students, Computers and Learning: Making the Connection, PISA, OECD Publishing
- Children, Adolescents, and the Media, from Drs. Victor C. Strasburger and Marjorie J. Hogan of The American Academy of Pediatrics
Two doctors from The American Academy of Pediatrics make suggestions for limiting childrens’ use of media.
- Does The Internet Make You Dumb?
Article on the 2012 book Digital Dementia (Digital Dementia), by German Neuroscientist, Dr. Manfred Spitzer.
- Pat Rullo Interview with Cindy Sage – Wireless Exposures in Schools: What are the Risks?
- Shallow Minds: How the Internet and Wi–Fi in Schools Can Affect Learning by Cindy Lee Russell, MD, VP for Community Health, Santa Clara County Medical Association Alliance Foundation
- This video illuminates the electromagnetic radiation emitted in nature and by a cell tower, a cell phone, a cordless phone and an iPad. It was made by Ray Pealer, who provides EMF home testing consultations. www.emrsafety.net.
- France: New National Law Bans WIFI in Nursery School
- Please listen to Dr. Erica Mallory-Blythe’s excellent talk, Electromagnetic Radiation, Health and Children given in the Fall of 2014. Dr. Mallory-Blythe is a British MD. She describes multiple studies that show how exposure to EMR affects children–along with ways we do not yet have a full picture.
- Safe Tech for Schools on Fox News
- Allstate Is Moving In the Right Direction
11 teenagers die daily because they text while they drive. Check out what Allstate is doing to end this practice
- Creative, Non-Electronic Activities
- “Pharmatizing” our Children – The ADHD Offensive
By Marcia Lee, Kids Focus 6/28/15
- Dying on the Digital Streets: The Tech Addiction of Our Children
Please read this piece about Internet addiction from Lisa Gray-Garcia.
- LA Schools Want Refund on iPad/Curriculum Purchase
Reading books is good
CHE EMF Working Group Call: The Link Between EMF and Autism? A Conversation with Cindy Sage and Martha Herbert
EMRPolicy.org has a page dedicated to Wi-Fi in schools with excellent resources and links.
Dr. Magda Havas, B.Sc. Ph.D., Associate Professor of Environmental & Resource Studies, Trent University, also has a page dedicated to the issue of Wi-Fi in schools.
Digitale Demenz (Digital Dementia) by Dr. Manfred Spitzer, published by Droemer Knaur 2012
In Germany, teachers can borrow a “phantom head” that measures cell
phones’ radiation emissions and Specific Absorption Rates so that
students can learn exactly the radiation their phones deliver.
“Cell Phones: Just Like Cigarettes?” at youtube.com/watch?v=XIPtEYIOupE
“Expert EMF Workshop at San Leandro High School,” Moderated by Ari
Dolid, a teacher and advisor to the student-led Social Justice Academy,
and Elizabeth Kelley, Director of ICEMS. Includes presentations by Dr.
Magda Havas, Dr. Henry Lai and Dr. Raymond Neutra.
“Small Group Discussion: Safer Cell Phone Use,” an informal conversation
between experts and students.